Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Trip Changes

So we found out today that due to safety concerns in the Gulf of Aden, our trip has had major changes to the itinerary. Italy, Turkey, and Egypt have been replaced with Morocco, Namibia, South Africa, and Mauritius. The status of the stops in India and Thailand are still up in the air. We will not be going through the Suez Canal, but instead will be "rounding the horn."

My initial reaction was that this was great, I am now going to cross the equator. I quickly realized, that I will be missing Egypt, the port I was looking forwards to the most. I shall not see the pyramids, the sphinx, and a chance to see Zahi Hawass. Excitement gave way to disappointment and anger. Were it up to me, we would not have changed anything. Despite the news of pirate attacks, it is still a few ships out of the thousands that pass through those waters. Besides, how many people can say that they were attacked by pirates? That would have been the best souvenir. However, this gives me some impulse to continue travelling. I still want to go to Egpyt.

I now need to look into these new countries and see what there is to see there. I have wanted to go to Africa. Egypt is technically on the African continent, but culturally it is like the Middle East. Now I will be going to Africa, so that is a good point. I also like the possibility of a safari while in Africa. And a quick search about Namibia on Google led me to some magnificent red sand dune desert landscape pictures. Life has thrown me a viscious curve ball, but hell, I'm still going around the world, and I have that to look forwards to.

No comments: